Monday, April 27, 2015

Could you live on $1.75 a day?

Could you live on less than $1.75 a week?  I might not be Gwynneth Paltrow and rich but I already know that I probably wouldn't last longer than a day.  I don't have a job right now and probably should be living on less than $1.75 a day for food but I have been relying on my credit cards and the fact that I am able to sometimes attend food events because of my food blog so I am able to eat food I like most of the time.  But what would happen if I didn't spend years building my credit?  Well I would probably be one of those people that aren't able to eat 3 meals a day or  I would have to go without a lot of meals.

Starting April 28th, 2015 there is a challenge to Live Below the Line from April 28 to May 2nd.  Five days to live on less than $8.75.  I won't be participating in this challenge because I already know that I spend more than $8.75 on just one meal most of the time but I wanted to write this blog post i support of people that are living this way in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. this week and for people all over the world who are food insecure.   The point of this challenge is to raise money for 10 different charities and to raise awareness.  I am doing my part by raising awareness because I know that I am not an effective fundraiser and won't be officially participating in the challenge.

If you would like to participate you can either join the challenge or donate funds to someone that is participating or just donate.  Here is the link if you would like to participate:  https://www.livebelowtheline.com/ca/challenge

There are lots of resources on the website including a Living Below the Line Cookbook.  I had a look through the cookbook and decided to make a modified version of the pancake recipe.  I added lemon zest and dash of vanilla cinnamon maple syrup to the blueberry topping.  I also added cinnamon to the pancakes.  This would probably bump up their estimated cost of $0.58 for a portion.


Adapted Recipe

Pancake
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk

Syrup
zest of half a lemon
handful of frozen blueberries
2 tbsp of sugar
juice of half a lemon
dash of vanilla cinnamon maple syrup or equivalent

Mix all of the pancake ingredients into a large measuring cup and mix until combined.  I use a measuring cup so that it's easy to pour into a pan.  Less clean up.

For the syrup add a handful of frozen blueberries and add the juice and zest of half a lemon.  Add the sugar and a splash of maple syrup for flavour.   Cook until the syrup can coat the back of a spoon.

In a frying pan heated on medium heat Add a bit of oil or butter to coat the pan and then pour the pancake mix into the pan.  I made one large pancake and had enough for 2.  When bubbles form flip the pancake and cook on the other side for a minute or so.  Remove to a plate and serve with the blueberry syrup on top.



This is just one meal and I know that breakfast is the easiest meal to eat fairly cheap during the day but what about the rest of the day.   Could you survive? 

I bet that I could survive by making soups and rice and things like these pancakes and find ways to make them taste ok but I know that I would miss protein and more substantial meals.

If you can afford to donate.  If you think the challenge is easy, try it.  
Let me know how it goes....

good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.