Monday, March 13, 2017

Shamrock Green Irish Soda Bread & Avocados for St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is on this week and I was asked if I thought about using Avocados for St. Patrick's Day.  Well I never thought of it before but hey they are green and tasty so Why NOT?   Since Avocado Toast is trendy these days I thought I would put my own spin on it an make some Green Irish Soda Bread for the Toast part.  I added super ripe Avocado slices and topped it with salt, pepper and  some great Dubliner Irish Cheddar and some Pea Shoots.  All of those things go together fantastically.   My spin on the Irish Soda Bread was to add freshly chopped Parsley and Green Onions, kind of a touch of Asian and French influence, but I considered adding spinach to color the whole bread but the Onions and Parsley were a lot easier and added lot's of flavour.  The recipe for my Shamrock Irish Soda Bread is below.  You don't need to activate yeast or knead it or let it rise so it's a pretty easy bread for a 1st timer or someone without a lot of time to make bread.  It should take about an hour in total to make this bread and that includes baking.


Think about adding Avocados to your St. Patrick's Day Menu.  It's not Traditional but it's Delicious and good for you.   

Shamrock Green Irish Soda Bread


Ingredients:

1 - 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 egg
1 - 1-1/2 cups of buttermilk
2 green onions
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

In a large bowl sift flour and salt and Baking soda and set aside.  In a measuring cup add a large egg and add the buttermilk and chopped parsley and finely chopped green onions and mix well.

Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until the mixture mixes into a dough ball.  

Shape into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking tray or you can use a Dutch Oven to bake.



Score an X into the top of the bread with a sharp knife.  You can also use some of the buttermilk mixture to brush the top of the bread before putting it into the oven.

Bake at 400F for approx. 45 min or until the top and bottom are golden brown.

Let cool on a baking rack for a few minutes before slicing.   For a Avocado Toast, toast the bread slices in a toaster or on a grill and then add the toppings.
Top with Avocado Slices, Salt, Pepper, Irish Cheddar Cheese and a few Pea shoots and drizzle with good Olive Oil.   

I made Soda Bread last year but made it slightly different, I used half Whole Wheat this time and eliminated the sugar so that I could make it more savoury.

For that recipe and my IRISH STEW RECIPE click on my last year's post here:  http://starvingfoodie.blogspot.ca/2015/03/st-pattys-day-beef-stew.html



Did you know: 90 per cent of avocados consumed in Canada come from Mexico? Mexico is the world’s top avocado producer and currently, Canada is the second biggest importer of Mexican avocados.  
For more fun facts and recipes check out Avocados From Mexico .

#AlwaysDelicious #StPatricksDay #AvoHappiness #AvocadosFromMexico #AlwaysInSeason



* Disclaimer:  This post was suggested but I was not compensated for this post and the recipe, photos and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.