Friday, February 13, 2015

Sweet Heart Chocolate Chip Scones

Chocolate Chip Heart Shaped Scones

Why not make a simple but thoughtful breakfast for yourself or for someone else this Valentine's Day.  Skip the expensive dinner and start your day with a sweet little touch of goodness.

I was thinking about making some chocolate chip scones and since tomorrow is Valentine's Day I was inspired to make some heart shaped Chocolate Chip scones.  I have to say that they turned out to be the best scones that I ever made.  Almost like a light cookie.  I didn't want to make them into rock scones so I was very careful not to over work them.

As usual I just cook a lot by feel so I will try and approximate the ingredients that I put into these scones.  I will give you all the ingredients but you may have to just work with it to get it to the right consistency to get it right.

Ingredients:

2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
1/2 lemon juiced
1tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of cubed cold butter

Topping
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp Turbonado sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 400F.

In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.  Whisk until all the ingredients are distributed throughout.

In a measuring cup add the milk and add the juice of half a lemon.  Set aside.

Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add them to the flour mixture.  With your hands or a pastry cutter mix the butter and flour between your fingers until the mixture is a sandy texture.  You can add butter or flour until you get the right consistency.  When you squeeze some in your hand it should stick together like when you make sand castles.

Add the chocolate chips and mix throughout the flour mixture.

Add the vanilla to the milk mixture and stir.   Then pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix until the mixture comes together and away from the bowl.   I left my dough fairly loose.  Make sure you don't over mix it.  You just want it to come together to be able to have them hold to roll out.

Dump the mixture onto a lightly floured board.  I didn't roll the dough I just patted it down to a 1/2 inch thickness.  You can roll it to get a smoother top finish.   For me the less tools I have to wash the better.  Use your hands.. that way you put some love into them.  Yes it makes a difference.

I used 2 different sized heart shaped cookie cutters mostly because I wanted to see which came out better and also so that I didn't have to re work the leftover scraps much.

Place the cut out scones on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Brush the tops with the egg wash and then sprinkle turbonado sugar on top.  I suppose you could use colored sugar to be fancy too but consider the color of the chocolate chips.  It might not look that great.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until brown on the bottom and slightly golden on top.   Keep checking your oven because it may take more or less time.

Use this as a guideline but I basically just dumped and stirred and didn't measure anything exactly.  This is grandmother cooking.. even though my grandmother and my mother never made scones I still learned how to guestimate some baking from my mom.  I think she only measured a few recipes and then winged the rest.   Learn to wing it so that you can get creative with your recipes.   I added cinnamon and vanilla to boost the chocolate flavour.   Also cinnamon regulates blood sugar so it's a good thing when you bake.

My batch turned out great and I hope if you try them you will like them as much as I did.

Oh and I had them with Cherry Blossom Lemon Lilly Tea from Postal Teas.  The hint of cherry was a nice pairing with the chocolate chips.


2 comments:

  1. Love the scones. Can't wait to make them. The Cherry Blossom Tea sounds like an interesting pairing with the scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny. Let me know if you make them and you can order the tea through Postal teas delivery service.

    ReplyDelete

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.