Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake

Have you ever come across a recipe on social media that looked so good that you had to try it?


I was going through my social media stream today and came across a recipe on FOOD52 for a Vegan Chocolate Cake and I looked at the ingredients and they were all pantry ingredients that I had.  There was no waiting to soften butter, no small appliances,  just some ingredients, 2 bowls, a cake pan, measuring cups and spoons and then into an oven for a half an hour.

I don't make a lot of cakes and generally make more cookies and brownies but this one seemed to call me to make it.

This recipe is by Margaret Fox and can be found on the FOOD52 site for Vegan Chocolate Cake.

I followed the recipe and the only thing I changed was that I added cinnamon to bring out the cocoa and it's also a healthy spice so I had to add something good.

Here's how mine turned out.  It looks pretty close to the Food52 recipe which doesn't always happen.  So this recipe gets a thumbs up from me.

I won't list the recipe.. but urge you to go to the Food52 site and get the recipe and try it for yourself.

What I really liked about this recipe was that you didn't need any butter, eggs or a lot of labour intensive mixing.  The only thing that stood out as unusual was the addition of Cider vinegar.  All of the ingredients should already be in your pantry if you do bake anything.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Yes I was hungry but it's nice to have a chocolate cake recipe you can whip up in less than an hour in case you have unexpected guests coming over or in need of a quick Birthday Cake.



1 comment:

  1. Adding vinegar creates moistness without the need for eggs. It's a recipe that dates back to Depression era when people couldn't afford eggs. Back then it was known as Wacky cake.

    ReplyDelete

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.