Monday, April 4, 2011

All Food Things


This photo prompted this new Food Blog.


For the past month I have been off work and at home cooking a lot more than usual and for fun I have been  posting photos of what I have been making on my facebook page so my friends convinced me that it was time to do a food blog so this is the beginning of it.


This humble bowl of chicken soup was something I had throughout my childhood.  Mostly when I was sick or on special occasions with the matzoh balls but mostly with noodles.   My mother would make chicken soup on a regular basis so I guess it's probably one of the first things I learned how to make by watching my mother do it all the time.  


This time it's a little different.   I don't make matzoh ball soup very often, maybe once a year with the matzoh balls but I will make chicken soup for the stock but this time I made it for a different reason.  My mother is in a long term facility now with Dementia and can no longer even remember that she used to make chicken soup so I decided to bring her some today because she has been sick the past couple of weeks and has stopped eating.  I thought that if I tried to make something healthy that used to be one of her favourite things she might like it and eat it.  I tried but unfortunately even though the soup came out great it is no longer something she likes or remembers how much she used to like it.


For a foodie it's hard for me to understand how someone that used to be obsessed with getting her family to eat things but no longer wants to eat anything but pudding, ice cream and pureed fruits.


This blog will serve as my visual memory for the foods I love and all the foods of life.


I will post recipes, photos, restaurant recommendations and pans and favourite food network shows, celebrity chefs, eco and healthy food choices and foodie events.


Now in case you want the recipe for my mom's chicken soup here it is:


Chicken Bones from a kosher chicken
6 cups of cold water
1 Onion
1 Carrot
1 Parsnip
1 Leek
1 Stalk of Celery
2 Tablespoons of Fresh Parsley
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Pepper
2 Bay leaves or a tablespoon of crushed bay leaves
A packet of OXO chicken bouillon (Optional)
2 Garlic cloves (Optional)


Wash, and peel and rough chop all the vegetables and put it in a stock pot with the chicken and cold water.
Turn heat on high and when the stock starts to boil turn it down to a simmer and skim any scum from the surface of the soup.
Let simmer slightly covered for at least an hour or to taste.   Check for seasoning and adjust.


For matzoh balls I used a package of Streits Matzoh ball mix.   You can use a mix or make your own if you have matzoh meal.  I use the mix because it's way faster.  It only takes a couple of eggs and some oil and 15 min to set and another 30 minutes to cook.


Then Enjoy.







1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first blog post Linda. It's great! Thanks for posting your mom's recipe. Sorry to hear that she wasn't very receptive to eating it. I'm sure it tasted great. I like that you added leeks to the soup.

    ReplyDelete

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.