Saturday, March 7, 2020

Sea-cuterie board workshop with MSC fish

How about a Seafood Sea-Cuterie Board for a Party?


I went to the Restaurant Canada Show last week and while I was wondering around trying to see as much as I could on my second day and drooling over the food I stopped to check my messages because I was waiting to see where a friend was at the show.  She sent me a message asking if I was going to the Sea-cuterie board workshop and I didn't know anything about it so I went to the sustainable area of the show and saw my friend Matt Dean Pettit and asked him if he knew where it was so he told me it was at the other end of the show so I bolted over there to see what it was all about.  But when I got there I saw my friend and found out it was an invite only event but lucky me and they had a spot available so I got to sit in on the creative workshop with Chef Charlotte Langley who owns Scout Canning.  She is a well known Chef in the Toronto Restaurant Scene and has had her line of canned seafood products for a little while now.
She told us about Sustainable Seafood that was MSC certified and why that was important.

MSC stands for MARINE STEWARDSHIP COUNCIL.  Did you know that?
Did you also know that Seafood is the world's most traded food commodity - 10 times more than coffee.  Wow.

You want to look for the MSC logo on your seafood products. 

To be MSC certified the fisheries have to comply to 28 performance indicators.

They must follow:
  1. Sustainable fish stocks
  2. Minimizing environmental impacts
  3. Effective management


The MSC blue fish label only applies to wild catch fisheries, no farmed fish or seafood.

Food fraud is a serious issue in the new economy where people will do whatever they can for market share.  MSC is traceable from ocean to plate.


  • Approx. 30% of Seafood Sold Globally is Mislabelled

Why it's worth the effort to get MSC seafood and eat more fish.

  • Seafood includes protein, omega-3's, B vitamins and minerals like iron and selenium. The healthy fats help lower the risk of heart disease.
  • People who regularly eat fish are 20% less likely than their peers to have depression


Back to the fun part of the workshop.  We were provided this MSC stamped cutting board with a wooden bowl and an array of fish and seafood to style on our boards.  There was some delicious lobster salad, smoked salmon, baby shrimp, mackerel and garnishes like 2 sauces and pickled veggies, lettuce and crackers.  This was the end result of my sea-cuterie styled board.  We got to bring these boards home.  I ate the lobster salad in a sandwich when I got home.  It was delicious.


You can get MSC blue fish label products at Loblaws, Whole Foods, Seafront Fish Market, Costco, Walmart, Sobeys, Ikea and Fast food chains that carry are McDonalds and A&W locations across Canada.  Try the Cod burger at A&W it's fantastic and is only around for a short time.

For more information about MSC Blue Label Products visit their website at www.msc.org
and for more nutrition info check out www.seafoodnutrition.org

Follow on Social Media
#FeelGoodSeafood
@MSCbluefish

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.