|Pearl Diver TO|
Let me explain We Chat first. WeChat is a new app that is also a loyalty program. It's a hybrid type app like whatsapp, twitter, instagram and facebook combined. It was developed in China and has over 600 million users. A lot of the users in China use it to communicate for free to family members in Canada so this is why they are looking to expand to North America to grow the number of users and therefore grow the benefits of using the app. Unfortunately because my cell phone is so jam packed with images I didn't have the storage space to load the app but all of my fellow diners did and they were able to connect with each other in the room with the location feature. I wish I could tell you what the experience using it is like but I won't be able to until I get a new phone that can keep up with me. So you will have to check it out for yourself but my foodie friends seemed to like the features they were playing with.
PEARL DIVER – WECHAT REWARD PROGRAMThere are multi levels and you can even earn a trip to Shanghai or Beijing. You can make free calls and have group chats and also post moments which are like instagram/facebook posts is how it was explained to me.
Pearl Diver will be introducing a series of WeChat Wednesdays where you can get 10% off your bill if you use the WeChat app. They will also teach you about oysters with a special of 3 oysters, a glass of beer or wine or a highlighted cocktail for $8.88. They will also have an Oyster special for $28.88 which has 4 different kinds of oysters which change every week.
The dinner we had on WeChat Wednesday was delicious.
- A selection of oysters from the East Coast and the West coast.
- Seared Diver Scallops with watercress, house smoked pork belly, rhubarb and brown butter vinaigrette
- Atlantic Lobster tiger salad, PD ponzu sauce
- Menonite Pork Chop with summer potato bacon hash, braised red cabbage with blackcurrant glaze
- Steelhead Trout with avocado, edamame, broccollini & tomatillo
The flavours are fresh and bold and you can get a really great selection of seafood dishes from this Steelhead trout to a bowl of mussels to their huge selection of freshly shucked oysters. I think I like the tiny little oysters from the East Coast the best.
- Dark Chocolate Delice with cherry compote, passion fruit coulis, cocoa nib & peanut brittle
- Hibiscus Poached Peach & Hazelnut cake with mascarpone, blueberry compote and toasted pine nuts.
This Dark Chocolate dessert was my favourite thing. I could have eaten 2 platefulls it was so good.
The pastry chef has been working on trying to use less butter and sugar in desserts while retaining full flavour from natural ingredients.
For more information about Pearl Diver