Sunday, July 19, 2020

What is a Foodie?

What do you think of when you hear the term Foodie?  Do you cringe or drool?



I started my Blog in 2011 after my work contract ended and my mother passed away.  I had already had blogs but I was home cooking more so I created a Blog to put my thoughts and photos about food onto a blog for myself and my friends.

In 2011 it wasn't a pretentious lucrative thing as it turned out to be for some people and I didn't do it as a career but as a passion.  I had always loved to cook and to eat out at different kinds of restaurants to try new things that I did not grow up eating.  My next door neighbours were mostly Italian and I loved to see what they were eating at their house and that grew my love of Italian food that continues to this day.  My mom wasn't the best at making Italian food but she did know how to cook other Mediterranean food.  I had a very diverse palette compared to most of my friends because my parents had food influences from Greece, Poland, France, Belgium, Jerusalem and Spanish food too.

I am getting ahead of myself now.  Back to the Foodie thing.  When I started my blog I wanted to call it something like Starving Artist or something cool but when I tried to come up with a name I kept going back to Starving Foodie.  The term Foodie was just starting to be used a lot and since I am not a trained chef and I don't work in the Food Industry and I am not a professional writer but I do know my way around a Kitchen and I do know a lot about different ethnic cuisines and what's happening in the food world.   I learned a lot from influences from friends, travelling, going out to events since I was a kid and growing up watching cooking shows on TV.  While I am not formally trained I have been told many times over the years that I should have a restaurant.  I don't because I know it takes a lot of money and a lot of stamina and I don't have enough of either of those things.

So the reason for this blog post and What is a Foodie?  I started watching a New York based documentary on Amazon Prime and right at the beginning they had people from places like Eater and bloggers, and other food writers answer the question about what is a foodie.   Most of them said things like a self proclaimed food geek, someone who just goes to restaurants and a lot more judgemental comments that kind of put my back up.   I often think I should change my blog to my name because I like to write about restaurants less than other things.  I like to write about events,  because I do have an education and experience in that and I also like to write about food films and also have another blog for that.  But I also like to write about sustainability, farmers, trends, great things and not so great things going on in the food world.  My instagram is more of a lifestyle page because I post lots of not so perfectly curated photos.  I have 2 accounts but I just go back to my main account and I like to post things I see, people I hang out with and places I go and things I eat.

My Instagram is more like a visual diary for myself and my friends to see what I am up to.  They like to see what I am eating because it inspires them and gives them ideas of what they can make because I keep things fairly simple most of the time.

During Covid-19 self isolating I have gone back to the kitchen and almost back to where I started even though I have put my time into Instagram instead of my blog because I am still working from home.

I have done all the Covid food things,  make sourdough Starter,  make Dalgona coffee,  I am still obsessed with that one but gave up on the sourdough because it just takes too much of a time investment.  I baked the banana bread,  I made chocolate chip cookies,  I made gnocchi from scratch and all kinds of doughs.  I am trying to push myself to not eat the same even though the food options are a lot more limited now.  I try and make things I have never made before like Okonomyaki.  Japanese seafood pancake if you don't know.  That turned out great.  It's my creative outlet, it feeds my belly and my soul and my creative photography lover side.

The reason I take un-curated photos on my feed is because I have been taking photos since I was 12 years old.  I just take photos of things I find interesting, beautiful or newsworthy for me.  My blog and social media were created for me so I don't expect to become rich and famous from it.   Some have but that has never been my goal.
These are some of my "foodie" friends while we are on an Asparagus Farm Tour.

I am not that person who is more of an "influencer" that's the term I am not crazy about because to me from what I have seen from some of the popular ones is that it is all about them getting the perfect shot of themselves.  If I take a selfie it's either because I just want to say something, be goofie or show where I am or who I am with or like this photo below it's to show the sign of the Sea-Hi restaurant that was about to close after 50 years in business.


I went to a lavendar farm with a couple of friends and what really turned me off where the people who were obviously Instagram obsessed with doing a photoshoot in the middle of a row of lavendar and they wore pretty dresses and big sun hats and then sprawled in the rows of lavendar even though they were told to be careful of the lavendar because that's how they earn their money.  I wanted to take a photo of the fields and my friends and I celebrating my friends birthdays.

I am getting off track again.  Anyway..  I have been to many events where there are a whole bunch of foodies, Instagrammers, bloggers, influencers, writers, fashionistas or whatever you want to call them.  Sometimes when food is presented some will spend 20 minutes taking photos of it and some will take 20 min taking photos of themselves eating it.   Some will take one photo and then dive in as if they have never eaten a meal before in their life.   I like to try and take a couple of photos to try and get the best light and angle and then get out of the way and wait to eat the food once everyone is done.

It's very competitive although I am not competing because it's not my source of income.  I have a day job that pays my bills now but when I started my job just ended and I just gravitated to food to fill the void.  The first couple of years I spend a lot of time on my blog but lately I have not been keeping up because of Covid,  and the fact that there is less to inspire me to write because I am not out and about like I normally would be.   The judgmental comments in that documentary inspired me to speak about what it's like in Toronto and what it's like for me as a blogger.   I am not an "influencer",  although I do get media passes and do write about events mostly or other things I am invited to,  I do not work for a publication so my opinions are my own.  If I don't like something you will only hear the things I am ok with.  If I don't think things are right I will tell you.  Because it's my voice I can speak what I think uncensored by a brand compensation.

Now back to the food thing.  I have been cooking for over 50 years so I think that has given me somewhat of half decent experience and I get bored eating the same kind of food so I am always looking for inspiration.  Currently now that travel is not an option I was able to watch a series about Thailand and the food there.  It was like getting a travel cooking lesson and I find that very inspiring so when I feel like having Thai food I try and take bits of what I have learned from those types of shows.

I have many friends that are different kinds of bloggers, instagrammers, and food writers, tv personalities and such.  Some specialize in specific cuisine, some only go to restaurants,  one of my friends has dumped her blog but continues to search for the perfect beers an puts that on Instagram.  Some are into health,  some farming,  some travel and some Michelin star restaurants. 

We all have our own individual passion for food which is what has brought us together.  Food is the common denominator in the world.  Right now we can't agree on anything but if you post a Pizza Pull I bet a lot of people will like it.   Food itself isn't political,  there may be religious reasons for eating certain foods but you don't eat because of politics.   When I post anything that has my political opinion I get skewered on social media but right now I am going to post Ice cream for National Ice Cream day and I don't think anyone will post a negative comment.

There is room enough in the world for Foodie, or whatever you want to call people who love food and everything about it and influencers,  food marketers,  brands, food writers, content creators, cookbook authors, food bloggers and dieticians.

Let people do what they do and the world will be a happier place.

Now I am going to go back to that documentary called For the Love of Food.  If you check it out leave me a comment about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.