Friday, June 8, 2018

Anthony Bourdain cuts his life short.

Anthony Bourdain
1956-2018

There have been so many sad losses in the Celebrity world and many of them have been due to suicide but this one really breaks my heart.

Anthony Bourdain was not only a one time well known New York chef but he was a master story teller and breakout voice of CNN's travel series Parts Unknown.  

This will have a ripple effect in the Food World because he was an influence on so many people.

Obviously success isn't the key to happiness sadly.  Bourdain was probably in the best shape of his life but outward appearance does not tell the story of what's going on inside when it's a struggle with emotions.

I had the chance many years ago to meet Bourdain and do his makeup for the Rogers Daytime show.  I was called in just to fill in to do his makeup and at the time I didn't know who he was and was just told that he was a New York chef who had a new food travel show.  Although it didn't seem like he was thrilled to be interviewed himself we did have a short conversation while he was in the makeup chair about where he had travelled that he enjoy the food the most and he said that it was in Vietnam.  I will always remember meeting him that one time and our conversation but more importantly he did so many great things in the restaurant industry, the publishing world and television.

I always love watching his show "Parts Unknown" and will miss his cynical view of the world.

But the work I really liked was his documentary "Wasted:  The story of Food Waste"  a fantastic look at the cycle of food waste from farm to table.  It changed the environment in my office for a long time.


I feel sad for his friend Chef Eric Ripert who was the one that found him in his hotel room in France.  They had great chemistry together on screen and I know that he will probably miss him more than anyone.

My heart also goes out to his wife and daughter who will have to bear the loss.

The world has lost a Chef, and master storyteller and I know all of my foodie friends are very sad about this news right now.

R.I.P.  Anthony Bourdain - 2018

1 comment:

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.