SIAL INNOVATION 2017 AWARD
Unveiling of the SIAL Innovation 2017 Finalists!
Innovations at SIAL Canada 2017: A Spotlight on Health, Enjoyment and Convenience
Out of 92 submissions, 10 products were chosen based on their excellence in innovation. The Grand Award announcement will be made at SIAL Canada on May 2nd at 10:30am.
For its 2017 edition, SIAL Canada has registered 1,000 exhibitors, who will be exhibiting from May 2 to 4 at Toronto's Enercare Centre. SIAL Innovation's international jury met at a secret Toronto location on April 13 to select the 10 finalists for the SIAL Innovation Grand Award 2017.
Today, over one in four new products launched worldwide (27.7% to be exact) makes a health claim. In North America, the rate has reached a record high of 40%, which is huge!
However, one should proceed with caution in reading too much into this phenomenon, and avoid getting carried away. It would be a mistake to conclude, as we often hear, that this is simply a consequence of consumers choosing products primarily based on health claims. As far as food is concerned, beyond its vital function, enjoyment will always remain the chief motivation.
Dana McCauley, the jury's Master of Ceremony!
It was with great enthusiasm that Dana McCauley, Food Innovation Ambassador at SIAL Canada 2017, led this 10thSIAL Innovation finalist-selection session. The five-hour session, during which Dana McCauley led a group of eight industry professionals, took place in the privacy of the Enercare Centre's kitchen on April 13.
The chef was thus able to present the committee with the products just as they would have been prepared by the producer. Among the 92 innovations presented by exhibitors, 10 caught the eye of the experts on the jury since they were seen as representing today’s strongest trends:
1. Le Moulin à champignons, SABAROT – France, booth # 2327
A select blend of mill-dried mushrooms. A truly convenient way of using mushrooms when cooking at home.
2. Le Petit Quinoa, SABAROT – France, booth # 2327
Another product by this French company has been noted for its convenience as well as its health benefits: Le petit Quinoa, a blend of cereals and quinoa sold in the shape of a sausage, designed to be sliced and pan-fried in minutes. High in protein and gluten-free, health, and convenience.
3. Turbana Plantain Chips, Turbana – Canada, booth # 1110
Consumer health benefits pop up again, along with novel taste, in these Plantain chips, which are cholesterol, saturated fat, and gluten free.
4. SAUCE MAC & CHEESE, Les Aliments O ’Sole Mio – Canada, booth # 649
Sole Mio is a fresh, readymade mac-and-cheese sauce sold in a spouted container. The product scored well with the jury for its convenience and time-saving nature.
5. 29 FEVRIER MAPLE-IN-A-TREE, Groupe 29 février – Canada, booth # 851
29 Février (“February 29”): What a novel name for a Canadian classic – maple syrup. The jury had great things to say about its “bag-in-tub” configuration, which protects the product and allows it to keep longer.
6. Saffron Sugar Cube, Taj Food, Minami Inc. – Canada, booth # 1219
Saffron and sugar combine in an interesting mix of flavours. Saffron Sugar Cube is 100% natural and sold in highly convenient re-sealable packaging.
7. VERMOUTH VINEGAR, Vinagrerias Riojanas – Spain, booth # 2000
Vermouth Vinegar. A product that reacquaints consumers with vinegar through a premium taste.
8. Quinta Quinoa, Katan – Canada, booth # 1543
Did you know quinoa grows in Ontario? Get ready to rediscover it as a local product. High in protein and iron, Quinta Quinoa is sold in a freestanding re-sealable bag.
9. Crispy Dill Pickled Carrots, Safies Speciality Foods company – USA, booth # 1028
While this may look like a traditional product, these spice- and vinegar-marinated Safie carrots, with their elegant packaging, are as innovative as they are delicious. You'll just love this new product!
10. Patty Fresh, Tiffany Gate Foods – Canada, booth # 2033
Many vegan products will be exhibited at the show. One of those, Patty Fresh, is a fresh, vegetarian pre-cooked roll that is meant to be sliced by the consumer for added convenience.
You will find these products at the SIAL Innovation space (booth # 727), and all visitors will be able to ask experts all their questions during observation tours, not to mention attend the filming of video presentations. Of the ten products that were selected by the jury, only one will be awarded the SIAL Canada 2017 Grand Award.
Here are the members of the SIAL Innovation 2017 jury:
· Dana McCauley, CEO, Blue Unicorn Innovation and Innovation Expert at SIAL Canada
· Karen Proper, Technical Manager, Product & Process Development, Consulting & Technical Services, NSF International
· Marie-France Gibson, Vice President, Private Brands, Metro Inc.
· Birgit Blain, President, Birgit Blain & Associates Inc.
· John Placko, Culinary Director, Modern Culinary Academy and Powder for Texture
· Jane Dummer, Principal and Founder, Jane Dummer Consulting
· Laura Calder, Writer and James Beard Award-winning television host
· Brian Hircock, President at Raining Communications
Read more about our jury members by visiting: https://sialcanada.com/en/concours-sial-innovation/
New! For the first time in North America, SIAL TV will be broadcasting interviews with finalists and experts, presented by chef and blogger Julie Miguel. Tune in at sialcanada.com.
SIAL Innovation is the only international contest with a presence in the four corners of the world. The jury is composed of experts from the food industry and will award 10 finalists and 1 Grand Award in partnership with XTC World Innovation. All finalists, along with the Award winner, will be given the opportunity to travel to all SIAL shows around the world: China, Philippines, Indonesia, Paris and Abu Dhabi.