Thursday, March 1, 2012
A better TacoI
I love Tacos and decided to make a bit better version at home. I could have bumped up the nutrition and health a lot more by using greek yoghurt and low fat cheese but this is what I did.
1 Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap
2 tomatoes diced
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1 half a red onion finely chopped
1 lime juiced
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
a few drops of Tabasco hot sauce to taste
a pinch of salt you can also add some cumin for some smokey spice.
1 Mashed Avocado
1/2 lime juiced
pinch of salt
(you can add the salsa mixture to the guacamole if you prefer a chunky guacamole)
1 whole lettuce leaf - I used Iceberg for the crunchiness but you can use Romaine if you want more nutrition.
1 Chicken Breast no skin
Chipotle pepper spice
I took a skinless boneless piece of chicken and just dusted it with the salt, pepper and chipotle and sauteed it in a cast iron pan to enhance the smokiness. I cooked it whole to keep it juicy and also to cut the use of fat. I cooked it until cooked through and then let it rest for a few minutes and then sliced it on the bias to keep it tender and easy to use on the taco.
1 tbsp. Sour Cream or Greek Yoghurt.
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
These are all the elements and how you are ready to assemble.
1. Toast the Tortilla until it is just soft and warm. Place it on a plate larger than the tortilla.
2. Place the lettuce on to the tortilla and try and keep it in one piece. This will prevent the tortilla from falling apart and the lettuce will be flavoured by the juices of the salsa.
3. Add the sliced chicken in a think layer on half of the tortilla or in the middle.
4. Add a spoonful of the salsa on top of the chicken.
5. Add a scoop of guacamole on top of the salsa
6. Add a spoonful of the grated cheese on top of the guacamole
7. Add a spoonful of the sour cream or yoghurt on top of it all.
Make sure you spread it all out evenly and then just fold the Tortilla in half and you have a Soft Taco. Less Fat than the usual ground beef version and it has a fresh and healthy taste.
This is great for lunch or dinner.
You could even wrap up the elements seperately and take it to work and just assembly it before you are ready to eat.
You can adjust it the way you like it and omit anything or add more of what you do like.
You can do the same thing with sliced beef or pork.
Make it your own but make it at home and skip the drive through.
I used to have friends that I would get together with for dinner and we had mexican food all the time. We would have taco nights. They moved out of town but it's nice to have a taco night once in a while.
Taco Thursday anyone?